網頁 貼吧 文章 作者 工作  
網頁搜尋

愛PO吧 >> 考選部全球資訊榜單 >> 瀏覽文章
回覆 加入我的最愛 與好友分享

梅莉史翠普哥大演說全文

本被文章 0 次, 共有回覆 1  

FULL TEXT:

Thank you, all. Thank you, President Spar, Ms. Golden, President Tilghman, Members of the Board of Trustees, distinguished faculty, proud swelling parents and family, and gorgeous class of 2010. If you are all really, really lucky, and if you continue to work super hard, and you remember your thank you notes and everybody's name; and you follow through on every task that's asked of you and also somehow anticipate problems before they even arise and you somehow sidestep disaster and score big. If you get great scores on your LSATS, or MSATS, or ERSATS or whatever. And you get into your dream grad school or internship which leads to a super job with a paycheck commensurate with responsibilities of leadership or if you somehow get that documentary on a shoe-string budget and it gets accepted at Sundance and maybe it wins Sundance and then you go on to be nominated for an Oscar and then you win the Oscar. Or if that money-making website that you designed with your friends somehow suddenly attracts investors and advertisers and becomes the go-to site for whatever it is you're selling, blogging, sharing, or net-casting and success shinning, hoped-for but never really anticipated success comes your way I guarantee you someone you know or love come to you and say, "Will you address the graduates at my college?" And you'll say "Yeah sure, when is it? May 2010? 2010? Yeah sure, that's months away and then the nightmare begins. The nightmare we've all had and I assure you, you'll continue to have even after graduation, 40 years after graduation. About a week before the due date, you wake up in the middle of the night, "Huh, I have a paper due and I haven't done the reading, Oh my god!"

If you have been touched by the success fairy, people think you know why. People think success breeds enlightenment and you are duty bound to spread it around like manure, fertilize those young minds, let them in on the secret, what is it that you know that no one else knows, the self examination begins, one looks inward, one opens an interior door. Cobwebs, black, the lights bulbs burned out, the airless dank refrigerator of an insanely over-scheduled, unexamined life that usually just gets take-out. Where is my writer friend, Anna Quindlen when I need her? On another book tour.

Hello I'm Meryl Streep, and today, Class of 2010 and I am really, I am very honored, and humbled to be asked to pass on tips and inspiration to you for achieving success in this next part of your lives. President Spar, when I consider the other distinguished medal recipients and venerable Board of Trustees, the many accomplished faculty and family members, people who've actually done things, produced things, while I have pretended to do things, I can think about 3,800 people who should have been on this list before me and you know since my success has depended wholly on putting things over on people. So I'm not sure parents think I'm that great a role model anyway.

I am however an expert in pretending to be an expert in various areas, so just randomly like everything else in this speech, I am or I was an expert in kissing on stage and on screen. How did I prepare for this? Well most of my preparation took place in my suburban high school or rather behind my suburban high school in New Jersey. One is obliged to do great deal of kissing in my line of work. Air kissing, ass-kissing, kissing up and of course actual kissing, much like hookers, actors have to do it with people we may not like or even know. We may have to do it with friends, which, believe it or not is particularly awkward, for people of my generation, it's awkward.

My other areas of faux expertise, river rafting, miming the effects of radiation poisoning, knowing which shoes go with which bag, coffee plantation, Turkish, Polish, German, French, Italian, that's Iowa-Italian from the bridges of Madison county, bit of the Bronx, Aramaic, Yiddish, Irish clog dancing, cooking, singing, riding horses, knitting, playing the violin, and simulating steamy sexual encounters, these are some of the areas in which, I have pretended quite proficiently to be successful, or the other way around. As have many women here, I'm sure.

Women, I feel I can say this authoritatively, especially at Barnard where they can't hear us, what am I talking about? They professionally can't hear us. Women are better at acting than men. Why? Because we have to be, if successfully convincing someone bigger than you are of something he doesn't know is a survival skill, this is how women have survived through the millennia. Pretending is not just play. Pretending is imagined possibility. Pretending or acting is a very valuable life skill and we all do it. All the time, we don't want to be caught doing it but nevertheless it's part of the adaptations of our species, we change who we are to fit the exigencies of our time, and not just strategically, or to our own advantage, sometimes sympathetically, without our even knowing it for the betterment of the whole group.

I remember very clearly my own first conscious attempt at acting. I was six placing my mother's half slip over my head in preparation to play the Virgin Mary in our living room. As I swaddled my Betsy Wetsy doll I felt quieted, holy, actually, and my transfigured face and very changed demeanor captured on super-8 by my dad pulled my little brother Harry to play Joseph and Dana too, a barnyard animal, into the trance. They were actually pulled into this nativity scene by the intensity of my focus. In my usual technique for getting them to do what I want, yelling at them would never ever have achieved and I learned something on that day.

Later when I was nine, I remember taking my mother's eyebrow pencil and carefully drawing lines all over my face, replicating the wrinkles that I had memorized on the face of my grandmother whom I adored and made my mother take my picture and I look at it now and of course, I look like myself now and my grandmother then. But I do really remember in my bones, how it was possible on that day to feel her age. I stooped, I felt weighted down but cheerful, you know I felt like her.

Empathy is at the heart of the actor's art. And in high school, another form of acting took hold of me. I wanted to learn how to be appealing. So I studied the character I imagined I wanted to be that of the generically pretty high school girl. I researched her deeply, that is to say shallowly, in Vogue, in Seventeen, and in Mademoiselle Magazines. I tried to imitate her hair, her lipstick, her lashes, the clothes of the lithesome, beautiful and generically appealing high school girls that I saw in those pages. I ate an apple a day, period. I peroxided my hair, ironed it straight. I demanded brand name clothes, my mother shut me down on that one. But I did, I worked harder on this characterization really than anyone I think I've ever done since. I worked on my giggle, I lightened it. Because I like it when it went, kind of "ehuh" and the end, "eheeh" "ehaeaahaha" because I thought it sounded child like, and cute. This was all about appealing to boys and at the same time being accepted by the girls, a very tricky negotiation.

Often success in one area precludes succeeding in the other. And along with all my other exterior choices, I worked on my, what actors call, my interior adjustment. I adjusted my natural temperament which tends to be slightly bossy, a little opinionated, loud, a little loud, full of pronouncements and high spirits, and I willfully cultivated softness, agreeableness, a breezy, natural sort of sweetness, even shyness if you will, which was very, very, very effective on the boys. But the girls didn't buy it. They didn't like me; they sniffed it out, the acting. And they were probably right, but I was committed, this was absolutely not a cynical exercise, this was a vestigial survival courtship skill I was developing. And I reached a point senior year, when my adjustment felt like me, I had actually convinced myself that I was this person and she, me, pretty, talented, but not stuck-up. You know, a girl who laughed a lot at every stupid thing every boy said and who lowered her eyes at the right moment and deferred, who learned to defer when the boys took over the conversation, I really remember this so clearly and I could tell it was working, I was much less annoying to the guys than I had been, they liked me better and I like that, this was conscious but it was at the same time motivated and fully-felt this was real, real acting.

I got to Vassar which 43 years ago was a single-sex institution, like all the colleges in what they call the Seven Sisters, the female Ivy League and I made some quick but lifelong and challenging friends. And with their help outside of any competition for boys my brain woke up. I got up and I got outside myself and I found myself again. I didn't have to pretend, I could be goofy, vehement, aggressive, and slovenly and open and funny and tough and my friends let me. I didn't wash my hair for three weeks once. They accepted me like the Velveteen Rabbit. I became real instead of an imagined stuffed bunny but I stockpiled that character from high school and I breathed life into her again some years later as Linda in the "Deer Hunter." There is probably not one of you graduates who has ever seen this film but the "Deer Hunter" it won best picture in 1978 Robert De Niro, Chris Walken, not funny at all. And I played Linda, a small town girl in a working class background, a lovely, quiet, hapless girl, who waited for the boy she loved to come back from the war in Vietnam. Often men my age, President Clinton, by the way, when I met him said, "Men my age, mention that character as their favorite of all the women I've played." And I have my own secret understanding of why that is and it confirms every decision I made in high school. This is not to denigrate that girl by the way or the men who are drawn to her in anyway because she's still part of me and I'm part of her. She wasn't acting but she was just behaving in a way that cowed girls, submissive girls, beaten up girls with very few ways out have behaved forever and still do in many worlds. Now, in a measure of how much the world has changed the character most men mention as their favorite is, Miranda Priestly.

XYZ軟體補給站光碟破解大補帖資訊合輯中心

Now as a measure of how the world has changed. The character most men mention as their favorite. Miranda Priestly. The beleaguered totalitarian at the head of Runway magazine in Devil Wears Prada. To my mind this represents such an optimistic shift. They relate to Miranda. They wanted to date Linda. They felt sorry for Linda but they feel like Miranda. They can relate to her issues, the high standards she sets for herself and others. The thanklessness of the leadership position. The "Nobody understands me" thing. The loneliness. They stand outside one character and they pity her and they kind of fall in love with her but they look through the eyes of this other character. This is a huge deal because as people in the movie business know the absolute hardest thing in the whole world is to persuade a straight male audience to identify with a woman protagonist to feel themselves embodied by her. This more than any other factor explains why we get the movies we get and the paucity of the roles where women drive the film. It's much easier for the female audience because we were all grown up brought up identifying with male characters from Shakespeare to Salinger. We have less trouble following Hamlet's dilemma viscerally or Romeo's or Tybalt or Huck Finn or Peter Pan -- I remember holding that sword up to Hook -- I felt like him. But it is much much much harder for heterosexual boys to identify with Juliet or Desdemona, Wendy in Peter Pan or Joe in Little Women or the Little Mermaid or Pocohontas. why I don't know, but it just is. There has always been a resistance to imaginatively assume a persona, if that persona is a she. But things are changing now and it's in your generation we're seeing this. Men are adapting... about time...they are adapting consciously and also without consciously and without realizing it for the better of the whole group. They are changing their deepest prejudices to regard as normal the things that their fathers would have found very very difficult and their grandfathers would have abhorred and the door to this emotional shift is empathy. As Jung said, emotion is the chief source of becoming conscious. There can be no transforming of lightness into dark of apathy into movement without emotion. Or as Leonard Cohen says pay attention to the cracks because that's where the light gets in. You, young women of Barnard have not had to squeeze yourself into the corset of being cute or to muffle your opinions but you haven't left campus yet. I'm just kidding. What you have had is the privilege of a very specific education. You are people who may able to draw on a completely different perspective to imagine a different possibility than women and men who went to coed schools.

How this difference is going to serve you it's hard to quantify now, it may take you forty years like it did me to analyze your advantage. But today is about looking forward into a world where so-called women's issues, human issues of gender inequality lie at the crux of global problems from poverty to the AIDS crisis to the rise in violent fundamentalist juntas, human trafficking and human rights abuses and you're going to have the opportunity and the obligation, by virtue of your providence, to speed progress in all those areas. And this is a place where the need is very great, the news is too. This is your time and it feels normal to you but really there is no normal. There's only change, and resistance to it and then more change.

Never before in the history or country have most of the advanced degrees been awarded to women but now they are. Since the dawn of man, it's hardly more than 100 years since we were even allowed into these buildings except to clean them but soon most of law and medical degrees will probably also go to women. Around the world, poor women now own property who used to be property and according to Economist magazine, for the last two decades, the increase of female employment in the rich world has been the main driving force of growth. Those women have contributed more to global GDP growth than have either new technology or the new giants India or china. Cracks in the ceiling, cracks in the door, cracks in the Court and on the Senate floor.

You know, I gave a speech at Vassar 27 years ago. It was a really big hit. Everyone loved it, really. Tom Brokaw said it was the very best commencement speech he had ever heard and of course I believed this. And it was much easier to construct than this one. It came out pretty easily because back then I knew so much. I was a new mother, I had two academy awards and it was all coming together so nicely. I was smart and I understood boiler plate and what sounded good and because I had been on the squad in high school, earnest full-throated cheerleading was my specialty so that's what I did but now, I feel like I know about 1/16th of what that young woman knew. Things don't seem as certain today. Now I'm 60, I have four adult children who are all facing the same challenges you are. I'm more sanguine about all the things that I still don't know and I'm still curious about.

What I do know about success, fame, celebrity that would fill another speech. How it separates you from your friends, from reality, from proportion. Your own sweet anonymity, a treasure you don't even know you have until it's gone. How it makes things tough for your family and whether being famous matters one bit, in the end, in the whole flux of time. I know I was invited here because of that. How famous I am. I how many awards I've won and while I am I am overweeningly proud of the work that, believe me, I did not do on my own. I can assure that awards have very little bearing on my own personal happiness. My own sense of well-being and purpose in the world. That comes from studying the world feelingly, with empathy in my work. It comes from staying alert and alive and involved in the lives of the people that I love and the people in the wider world who need my help. No matter what you see me or hear me saying when I'm on your TV holding a statuette spewing, that's acting.

Being a celebrity has taught me to hide but being an actor has opened my soul.

Being here today has forced me to look around inside there for something useful that I can share with you and I'm really grateful you gave me the chance.

XYZ軟體補給站光碟破解大補帖資訊合輯中心
You know you don't have to be famous. You just have to make your mother and father proud of you and you already have. Bravo to you. Congratulations.

這代女孩 不必再裝可愛

作者:吳怡靜/整理

出處:天下雜誌 第448期 2010/06/02 出刊

一九七八年,梅莉史翠普(Meryl Streep)演出電影《越戰獵鹿人》,一炮而紅。她在片中的角色琳達,是個痴痴等待男友從越戰返家的小鎮女孩。

二十八年後,史翠普再度以《穿著Prada的惡魔》一片,紅遍全球,這回,她變成了時尚圈的超級女強人米蘭達。

溫柔的琳達,曾經是包括美國前總統柯林頓在內,老一輩男性觀眾們最喜愛的史翠普角色。

但如今,在許多男人眼中,最欣賞這位演技女神的角色,竟然是跋扈又難搞的米蘭達。

XYZ資訊工坊光碟破解大補帖軟體補給合輯中心
「男人正在調整,」走過了三十幾年模仿人生百態的演藝生涯,六十歲的史翠普有感而發。

五月十七日,在哥倫比亞大學巴納德女子學院的畢業典禮上,史翠普從自己的成長故事出發,與畢業生分享對時代、性別與人生的滋味咀嚼。

談起成功之道,我可能不是家長們眼中的好模範。不過,我卻是個能在許多領域都假裝很內行的模仿專家,有很多假裝的專長,例如溪流泛舟、核輻射外洩、時尚搭配、咖啡種植、模仿波蘭口音、法國口音、義大利口音、《麥迪遜之橋》裡面的愛荷華式義大利口音……。

女人比男人更擅長表演

女人比男人更擅長表演,原因何在?因為我們必須如此,這是一種生存的技巧,是千百年來女人賴以求生的方式。

假裝或表演是一種非常重要的生活技能,也是人類調適能力的一部份──我們會改變自己,以便適應時代,或者讓自己更有利。

六歲的我,把媽媽的裙子罩在頭上,抱著洋娃娃,扮演起耶穌誕生記的聖母瑪利亞,因為我的模樣太認真了,結果,我弟弟哈利也自動加入,跟著扮起約瑟夫來。

後來是九歲,我拿起媽媽的眉筆,照著記憶中,外婆臉上的皺紋,仔細地畫滿了自己的臉,然後讓我媽拍照留念。

高中的時候,我迷上了另外一種表演:學習讓自己吸引人。所以,我想像出一個受歡迎的校園美女,深入研究她,模仿她的髮型、唇膏、睫毛、服裝,而且一天只吃一個蘋果。我還努力學習像小孩那樣,輕聲咯笑,這一切都是為了吸引男生,同時被其他女生接納。

不只是外在的改變,我還從內在的個性下工夫。原本我的個性有點跋扈、固執,於是,我刻意培養柔軟、親和、甜美,甚至害羞的氣質,這招對男生非常有效,但其他女生卻看出了我是裝的,她們都不喜歡我。

到了高三,我真的說服自己相信,我已經變成了這個人,這個漂亮、聰明、溫柔的女孩,喜歡在男生講蠢笑話時咯咯地笑、在必要的時候表現出順從。我記得很清楚,那些男生都因此更喜歡我,而我也樂得繼續假裝。

一直到我進了瓦瑟女子學院,交了一群好友,我的腦袋終於醒了過來。我發現,我再也不必假裝,我可以當笨蛋、發脾氣、邋里邋遢、逗趣或者精明,我的好友們一點也不介意。這讓我變得真實起來。

不過,我還是把高中假裝的這個女孩形象,儲存在記憶裡,後來拍《越戰獵鹿人》時,我就用這種形象來扮演片中的琳達。這部電影奪得了一九七八年奧斯卡最佳影片,琳達就是一個藍領階級的小鎮女孩,美麗、嫻靜、痴痴等待男友從越戰返家。

男人最愛:琳達或米蘭達?

很多年紀跟我差不多的男人,包括柯林頓前總統,都曾經跟我說,這個角色(琳達)是我演過的女人當中,他們最喜愛的一個。在我心裡,我非常了解背後的原因。

但是世界已經改變了,今天,大部份男人都說,他們最喜歡我演的角色,是《穿著Prada的惡魔》裡,那個難搞的時尚雜誌總編輯米蘭達。

我認為,這是一種很好的轉變。過去,男人會找琳達當女友,覺得她楚楚可憐,但現在,他們認同的卻是米蘭達。男人們認同米蘭達遇到的各種問題,包括她為自己和員工所立下的高標準、領導人的吃力不討好、「沒人了解我」,以及孤立感。他們同情她、甚至喜歡上她。

做電影的人都曉得,這一行最困難的挑戰,就是讓男性觀眾認同女主角,把她當成自己的化身。相反的,女性觀眾從小就開始認同男性角色:羅密歐、哈姆雷特……,我記得我還會學彼得潘,拿劍對抗虎克船長──因為我把自己當成了彼得潘。但是,要讓男性認同茱麗葉、溫蒂、小婦人或小美人魚,那就難多了。

現在,總算,男人開始調整了(men are adapting)。他們正在改變自己最根深蒂固的偏見,這種改變,對他們父親一代來說,絕對很困難,對祖父一代更是不可能。而帶來轉變的關鍵,就是因為男人開始有了移情、同理心。

各位巴納德的女畢業生們,你們這一代不必裝可愛或壓抑自己的看法,你們接受了高等教育,可以想像一條跟過去一代非常不同的道路。眼前全世界有許多問題,從貧窮、愛滋、人口走私到人權侵犯等,全都肇因於性別的不平等。未來,你們將有機會、也有責任,推動這些問題的改進。

這是一個屬於你們的時代,你們或許覺得,本來就該這樣,沒什麼稀奇,事實上,我們的世界從來沒有所謂的常態,只有不斷地改變、抗拒改變,然後是更多改變。

歷史上從不曾有一刻像現在這樣,許多高等學位都頒發給了女性。一百年前,女人在這些學校裡,還只能當清潔工,但再過不久,大部份的法律、醫學學位可能都會被女性拿走;全球各地,過去被當成財產的貧窮婦女們,現在開始擁有自己的財產;《經濟學人》更指出,女性勞動力的增加,是過去二十年來,工業國家經濟成長的主要驅動力,她們對於全球GDP成長的貢獻之大,甚至超過了新科技,或者中國、印度這些新興巨人。

二十七年前,我回到母校瓦瑟學院,為畢業典禮致詞,大家都說我講得很棒。那篇演說,我寫得駕輕就熟,因為當時的我,無所不知:剛當上媽、拿了兩座金像獎、處處精明、曉得該說些什麼最討好。

但如今,我覺得自己懂得的東西,大概只有年輕女孩們的十六分之一吧,對於世事,我不再像以往那麼確定。我今年六十歲,四個小孩都已經長大,也都面臨了跟你們一樣的挑戰。不過儘管如此,對於很多我始終沒搞懂,但還是很好奇的事情,我卻變得更加樂觀。

我被邀請來這裡致詞,是因為我的成功和名氣,但無論我拿下多少獎項,得獎這件事,對於我的個人幸福、人生的目的感,其實並沒有太多影響。對我來說,人生真正的意義,來自於用真切的感情,研究這個世界;來自於關注我所珍愛的人,以及那些需要我幫助的人。

而每當我在電視上,手裡拿著獎,滔滔不絕發表感言時,我都是在表演。

當上名人,讓我學會了要隱身,但是成為演員,卻打開了我的靈魂。

你不必非得成名不可,你只要讓父母親為你感到光榮,就已足夠。而這一點,你們都已經做到了。

逛上一篇:   逛下一篇:

作者: lceocelr
  (2010-11-15 12:31)
推薦文章: 將本文章推薦到【百度收藏】 將本文章推薦到【YouPush】 將本文章推薦到【udn共享書籤】 將本文章推薦到【Fiigo】書籤

本文章共有回覆 1 篇,分 1 頁
 聲明:以上內容不代表本站立場,且內容由網友發表提供,若有爭議或違法由發表者承擔,本站將不負責連帶責任,謝謝。

IPoBar  愛PK  愛遊戲  愛online
新手教學 客服中心 站務公告 交換連結 合作提案 關於我們

版權所有©ipobar Ltd., All Rights Reserved.